Why AR is not gaining popularity?

Here’s an interesting question - I’ve seen AR apps in development and I know few developers working only on AR so I know it’s not THAT hard. So why there is no more AR games? What makes this technology so unpopular?

Simply there’s much more potential for gaming in VR than there is in AR, almost every single game is playable in VR, and with AR that is certainly not the case. I guess it’s just the nature of the technology…

I wouldn’t agree with that. Android and IOS game developers are making fortunes. Plus, AR technology is way more accessible and user friendly than VR and development is not so complicated…

That would be because ‘real’ VR requires quite a lot of work. Let’s start with that there are way too many smartphones out there and it’s probably a nightmare to create AR app that would be compatible with most. Next important thing, to make things work like a charm triggers have to be set up in place where games are played. All in all, it’s still too complicated and it can’t be charged accordingly as most mobile players are not ready to pay more than few bucks for a game. Maybe AR+ will change something but that’s still far away.